Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Puppetry, my true love

As many of you may know (many meaning the 3 people who read this blog), Eric Layland and I are taking a puppetry class together, which has turned out to be one of the best decisions of my life - along with microwavable lasagnas and cutting myself bangs.

Puppetry is hard work. Here we see Eric working hard with his glue gun.
Here we see Eric having trouble with the glue gun. You'd think we wouldn't have any problems using a glue gun, but let me tell you...it's tricky. I got some glue in my hair today.
The teacher asked, "Does anyone have any questions?"
Sheepishly from the back of the room, "How do you get glue out of your hair?..."
I just ended up cutting it out. I needed a trim anyways.

Moving on....Minus one, let me introduce you to the new group of friends I have made:

Day one, we made a sock puppet. This is Flo.


Flo, like so many other things in my life, is white trash. For example, there was a whole lamp in the back of my car for 4 months and I finally decided to throw it away the other night....in a tiny garbage can at a gas station. It took me a few minutes to shove it all in there...Anyway, Flo is gross and a smoker and thinks everything tastes like nicotine. She's also not very funny, apparently. She came with me to the Divine Comedy tryouts and didn't get called back. Sorry, Flo.

Next we have Gene:
Gene, although some may say looks like Hitler (which, if you say this, I will kill you), he is not. He is supposed to be reminiscent of this man:

I guess I forgot the glasses and made his mustache too short. Also he didn't have a bowtie or a double chin....But the curly hair made me think of him. So. Not Hitler: Gene. Anyway...Gene grumbles a lot. You can't hear much through that mustache and he has a paisley shirt which...is open in the back like a hospital gown because I didn't know how to make a real shirt.
Eric made a pig. He gets mad when I tell him he made a puppet that looks like him, but can you blame me when he makes that face all the time?

Our most recent puppets today are my favorite. They were really low pressure because I didn't have to try hard to make it cute, it already was. We took some stuffed animals and did some slight surgery...
Our teacher told us to "Pretend you're surgeons....Proctologists."
And from that we have:
I haven't given mine a name yet. I was too busy hugging him and making him wave to people on campus all day to think about a name. Emily suggested Dr. Emmit Brown and Marty Mcfly. Mcfly could be cute...since he is a frog. I thought of Carl. But, I don't know if that's sticking...
Look at that pure happiness in Eric's face. That's what puppetry does for you. Gives you happiness. And a giraffe with a little bow.

And frog guts.

I made a stage for my (disastrous) puppet show that I preformed last week. If you'd like to feel awkward and be embarrassed for me as my props fall off the stage and the moments of silence tell you I forgot some things...you can.
Here.


The moral of the story is: Puppets rule the world.

4 comments:

Eric Layland said...

AMAZING. AMAZING. AMAZING.

Brittany said...

that was the best video ever. I laughed at this, "My name is Natalie Culp" So you know I laughed at the rest of it. Expecially when the thing fell down. HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHHAHAHA. Best ever.

Just Some Dude said...

It's about time you had something that recharged your soul--that's the happiest part. Since you have a puppet that smokes, also make one that can tie off and shoot up. Bring some real life drama to your puppet world.

Haddock said...

Thats an interesting and innovative thing.