Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Thunder and Storms

I woke up every half hour last night, listening to the wind and the rain. And I kept having dreams about going to my car to drive to work, thinking how I have the worst luck to have to wake up at 5am on the scariest night of the semester. The wind sounded like a haunted house all night and since the windows in the living room were open, my door trembled like someone was trying to get in. I would wake up and think, "Natalie, you love thunderstorms." But then the wind would shake my door and and the trees would dance outside my window and the memory of the men breaking into my house in the dream I just had would come back. So I would readjust and hold my blanket tighter.
On the drive to work, lightning outlined the mountains.
I love thunderstorms, but they feel like something is missing if I don't have someone next to me. They have the potential to feel pretty lonely. I watch the empty raindrops and feel my heart beat in the thunder.

2 comments:

Brittany said...

Oh shoot. I should have been with you.

Raimo and Jessica Laitinen said...

that was beautiful