Saturday, April 3, 2010

quotes

I decided to start watching some video blogs of my favorite YA author, John Green, while Kelly is at the priesthood session...
#1 He talks so fast I feel like he might explode.
#2 He talks o fast, I'm pretty sure he is on crack.
#3 Crazy crazy crack man.

But. In one of his video blogs, he says that one line from one of his books, The Abundance of Katherines, has been tweeted over 10,000 times. That is pretty incredible. However, the quote they have all twerted is, "What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable," and this quote was used in the book only so the main character could discover that that line is nothing but bull. So. People are just taking a quote out of context. So. Context is everything. And then he goes on to say that our favorite quotations say more about us than they say about the actual book.
Then I thought, what is my favorite quote?
One of my favorite quotes is:

"I like flaws and feel more comfortable around people who have them. I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions."

And I know it's from one of Augusten Burroughs' books, but I don't remember which one. And I don't remember why he says it. But, I love it. I guess I love it because I feel the same. I am made up entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions. And I love being around people who can admit they are too. Not dwell on it, but just admit it. Be at peace with it.

I don't know

I'm just blogging because I'm waiting for Kelly to get home and I don't want to do homework...

2 comments:

Eric Layland said...

Fartalie. I really like that quote about flaws. Really like it. I want to have the energy to read all the great literature you've read. Instead I'll just make puppets and beyonce videos.

Eric Layland said...

Oh also. I want to tell you my favorite book quote. It's from a young adult novel, Harriet the Spy. Maybe you've heard of it?

"You know, there are as many ways to live in this world as there are people. And each one deserves a closer look."

That might actually be from the movie I just realized. I still like it.