man. Why do we do that? haha. Sometimes we're so stupid.
Well, that's enough for my Human Experience moment of the day.
Now on to bigger and better things:
All right, all right. Let's have it. Who called it? (har har)Seriously though. Let me tell you a story.
This is Kelly:
This is the very fist picture I ever took of Kelly. See, I had this pink coat and one night in December of 2007, late late late at night in our little operator building, we were having a Schmoperator party. And I told him, "Kelly, try on my pink coat." He did...but I didn't take the picture fast enough. You can see how hilarious the moment was by the look on his face. And I thought, OH man I love this boy.
I met him in of the fall of 2007. He started as an operator at BYU Info, where I worked and practically ran the place. So I trained him and thought, well, he's cute. mmmm hmmmm. And then he made some jokes and I had on these big lady glasses:
And I thought for sure I looked like da bomb.com and like I could totally make this boy fall in love with me. So that's what I did for the next 3 years.
Also here (Probably the best one. CLICK IT)
SO anyway, then the next couple of weeks when he would come in to work I'd tell him, "I just don't get these Garfield comics" and he'd spend the next fifteen minutes explaining them to me. I would laugh so hard, Crystal (boss) would tell me to can it. But I couldn't can anything. He was too funny and too cute and too everything I wanted, so I'd check when he was working next and arrange the seating so he could sit next to me and I'd try to nudge my hand into his and he'd look at me like this:

And everyone at work thought it was so hilarious and I thought it was so hilarious and I thought he was so hilarious. And I always thought in the back of my mind, how do I make him my best friend!?
So we'd do things together occasionally. Like one time Rachel, my roommate, and I invited him over to carve pumpkins. I spent the entire night trying to smell him and hold his hand. As you can see in this picture, I am getting awkwardly close to him:
I knew what I wanted...
So, then we'd hang out some more. We made s'mores together:
And I'd force him to be my husband in all of the Operator skits and give me piggy back rides at all of the operator retreats:
And we went up to a lake with Rachel once. In this picture I have that look on my face like I dunno...I might love this boy...:Then last summer, Kelly was graduating from BYU and leaving Info. And I thought oh no. I hadn't hung out with him enough. We weren't best friends forever (aka bff). I wasn't going with him. Where was he going? How do I get us to be best friends and hang out all the time?! So I stated making more plans with him. And we watched a loooot of Flight of the Conchords together. And I was Mel.
And one day I said to him as he was leaving work, "Kelly, where are you taking me to dinner tonight?" He gave me that smirk he gives, and we ate at a little Greek place. I was nervous becuase I felt like this was our real first date since 2007 (The GenX date where I held his hands for 3.2 seconds) and he started talking gibberish about Gizmo Duck and I laughed so hard.
We hung out more. Like BFFs do. And one night I made him come to a fire on Hotdog Mountain with me and my friend Eric:
We were up there until 4am and guess what....HE HELD MY HAND!
You better believe that was one of the most exciting nights of my life. And you also better believe they just kept getting better until July 20, 2010.
So, we had talked about getting married. We knew we couldn't live without each other, so after much anticipation and eager encouraging by me, we went to look at rings together. We found a few we liked and I said, get me one of those please. And he did.
So all the days leading up to my birthday, I kept telling him to just propose to me already! But he kept telling me, "Sorry, I don't have the hardware yet..." I'd slide the ring off my right hand and nudge it to his side of the table in response. "Here..." But he'd just smile and slide it right back.
We partied all night on my birthday: went to Cowabunga Bay, ate at our Greek place, opened presents with my sister and friends...and then casually he suggested we go look at stars. We do this from time to time, so it wasn't out of the ordinary. It was like a, "Hey, we haven't done this in a while!" So of course I was up to it, and none the wiser...
I brought along my nice camera so we could take pictures of the stars, but as you can see, it was too cloudy and the moon was too bright to even see any stars. So I took a picture of the clouded moon instead:
And Kelly wasn't really interested in taking pictures. He had something else on his mind...
After I stopped freaking out and dancing around and screaming and grabbing him by the collar and yelling, "Kelly!", I was able to take this picture. It was waaay too dark and I didn't want to mess with the settings to get a good picture, so you can't even see where we are. We are in space.
And I'M ENGAGED!!!
TO KELLY GREG THOMSON
THE MAN OF MY DREAMS!
It's all I can keep thinking when I look down at my hand. Well, it's more like this, Holy crap! I'm engaged to Kelly Thomson. I've been waiting for this forever. Holy crap it's real. But it's a good "holy crap". The best ever. I love him in a cheesy, romantic, annoying way. And I love that I know I never have to spend another day thinking, Oh no! We're not BFFs yet!
I love my life.
6 comments:
This put such a big smile on my face. Thanks for sharing the details that Kelly never does. :) We're thrilled for you both and so excited to come up in October.
Love, one of your several future sisters-in-law
P.S. Thomson boys just like to take things slow. I think it's in their genes.
P.P.S. I linked to you from Kelly's blog that he never updates. I'm not a stalker, I promise.
whoa stalker alert!
I love this story and the both of you!
Why didn't Kelly (male) just go by Greg so I didn't develop carpel tunnel syndrome from talking about him on the internet!? Ha ha , Greg. I think I'll just call him Greg. I wouldn't! (I would!) Also, I just had this genius idea that you should name all of your children gender neutral names and then have their middle name be their gender. Like Jessi Female Thomson or Jami Male Thomson. Also, my word verification is swallie...maybe you should just name your baby Swallie, in honor of this post....and Swahili.
Yay yay yay!
have you really loved him that long? i love it
Natalie. Awe. Your life is turning into happily ever after. Finally, like we dreamed.
Post a Comment