I'm trying to project what I think the movie of Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close would be like. It's extremely hard and I'm incredibly far away from this paper's end. And it's due on Tuesday.
It's just...so much harder than you'd think. You read a book and you see it all in your mind. You follow what's happening page after page and your brain slowly pieces things together. Images comes together like the shattering of a vase backwards. But trying to put it into film...it's harder. Because it's not inside your brain anymore. It's outside of your brain and you're projecting it on a screen for everyone else to see. No longer can it be fragmented pieces scattered throughout the random crevasses of your brain, it now has to be linear. Things have to flow. And it has to fit within the time constraints. And there is too much to think about.
Speaking of movies...I saw one last night. Maybe you've heard of it...New Moon?
I love those Twilight movies. Never read the books but the movies...I can't tell if I love them because of their novelty ridiculousness or their high school drama or if they're actually just well done. I can't answer that question. But I can answer the question, "what's your beef?"...
These movies are just giving teenage girls validation that it's okay to be overly dramatic and think the world is ending all of the time. As teenage girls watch an over-sized version of Bella on the screen above them writhing in pain and screaming because a vampire man left her...it's putting in their brains...that drama is good. Drama is life.
I mean, Yes. Sometimes love does make us hurt that much. It cripples us , our knees buckle and we are dragged to the ground in a physical pain that can't be explained. The writhing is real. But life doesn't have to be only about how much pain we feel. Drama isn't life. Drama is a part of life that comes and goes and a part that can be conquered. When our hearts are broken it's okay to hold the little pieces in our hands until we learn how to put it back together, but Bella is telling these broken-hearted pre-teens to throw their bloody chunks against the wall, screaming that life isn't fair. And that's not going to help.
Here's another problem I see...in Bella and Edward's relationship...are they ever smiling or laughing or happy? Maybe when he called her "Spider Monkey," but really all they ever do is stare at each other, bite their lips, and talk about how hard everything is; how much "this hurts." Shouldn't love be more than talking about how much everything hurts all the time? I feel like if that's all your relationship is spawning, there is a problem. No one should be complaining that much while claiming they're in love. Now, I haven't read the books...maybe in them Meyers says something like, "And then they laughed and laughed and laughed. And laughed and laughed. They couldn't stop laughing..." but I'm just talking about the movies here. The movies with cut off shorts and awkward stances.
These thoughts are incomplete.
End transmission.
Saturday, November 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
So I guess we should remake a twilight movie soon. That's what I perceived to be hidden in this message. You were saying, "Eric. It's time to make a Twilight movie. You. Me. The forest. Now."
Also I dreamed everyone wore wigs and I yelled inappropriate things. At disneyland.
Post a Comment