Monday, April 19, 2010

A Marathon

So, I did it. Robbie and Sarah came out to Utah and Robbie and I ran the Salt Lake City Half Marathon.
Let me tell you our story...
So, the Trax decided not to run up to University where the race was starting. But we didn't know that. So we waited. And waited. And swore. And waited. Then we ran to a different Trax station which took us to ANOTHER Trax station and then we rode up to the University. And when we arrived, it was 57 minutes after the race had begun and so, surprise surprise, no one was there.
We started running anyway.
CAN'T STOP ME NOWW!

So Robbie and I ran together. We talked about things. I complained about how hard it was to run over 3 miles. We ate these really nasty energy gummy things which made me want to vomit and followed the trail of clothes people had peeled off an hour before us.
Suddenly we were on a road that wasn't blocked off. Cars were honking at us like we were idiots. We had to wait at a stop light and Robbie tried to run out in the middle of it, almost getting us killed and definitely getting us flipped the bird.
Now, take a look at this map:
As you can see, the blue line is the half marathon. We do half of the red line, which is the whole marathon. We were supposed to run along the blue line.
Now, take a look at this next map:The fuchsia line is where we ran. We missed a vital turn (marked by the fuchsia star)and ended up being lost for a few blocks and then meeting up with the top runners of the full marathon. According to Google maps, we ran an extra 2.6 miles.
So just to be clear:
We started an hour late
AND
We ran an extra 2.6 milesAt one point, I thought I couldn't do it anymore. It was SO HARD. Robbie kept holding my hand to pull me along, but then he'd want to keep running to stay ahead and had to eventually leave me behind because I kept telling him things like, "I hate you!" and "Stop telling me mind over matter or you're dead!". But, that's okay because then this happened:


I started power-walk-dancing: Punching the air. Playing air guitar. Screaming the words to Britney Spears songs...it was magical. And it helped. The only way I made it the last 3 miles was with that air punching. Man, that helps.

I finished. Only 2 minutes behind Robbie. I DID IT!
I AM MICHELLE OBAMA!!


And even though now I am sore and I feel silly because I didn't train for it, I also feel victorious. They gave me a medal and cheered me on. I went 15.8 miles without stopping.
I want to do it again, but next time train harder. Be ready. Run without crying. haha.

Official time for 15.8 miles: 2 hours 47 minutes
I am a champion.

3 comments:

Brittany said...

Natalie, you are incredible! I am so glad you ran more than you were supposed to, that shows you are capable of a whole marathon. I love you and this post. Mind over matter, nice work Robbie.

Eric Layland said...

I haven't read this whole post yet cause I'm at work. But my favorite thing is that those photos say PROOF. It's like you're screaming PROOF THAT I DID IT! PROOF! THIS PHOTO IS PROOF!

You are amazing. 15 miles?!!?!?! WHAT?! We barely survived the Y last summer. I'm inspired.

Eric Layland said...

Okay. Now I read the whole thing. YOU ARE AMAZING. Everything is amazing about you. I'm so proud. You are Michele Obama.

Remember when I said my wife is Michelle. She kept her last name, Obama. Maybe you've heard of her?

Genius. Next genius, sailing!