Thursday, September 16, 2010

Hate reading, huh?


We're reading The Outsiders as a class. Today I read out loud for probably a total of 70 minutes because we were behind in the reading. Walking around, reading, doing voices. And every single student (all 40 of them) were totally into it. I paused before the end of chapter 4 and asked, "Should I keep going or should we talk about it a little?" and in unison they all screamed, "KEEP GOING!"

Hahaha. Ahhhh. There's nothing more satisfying than having a class full of kids who "hate reading" scream at you to keep reading because they love a book so much.

And, I might add, as I was reading they were raising their hands to point out the flashbacks, foreshadowing and any connections they could make. Thats gotta make you feel good. Like they're getting it.
I kind of just want today to end now because that class went so perfectly. But, alas, I must teach 2 more and only Heaven knows if they'll behave...

1 comment:

Janell said...

I'm just so impressed with anyone who can teach that age group, and especially to have them enthralled by a classic. You're amazing! And I just added The Outsiders to my to-read list--somehow I missed it when I was in school.