"Eventually everyone's going to realize that it's beneficial to share ideas..." - Girl Talk
"The past always wants to control the future..." - Manifesto #2 from documentary
"You can't argue your creativity when it's based on other people's stuff..." - Copyright lady
"Intellectual property is the property on somebody's mind. Okay, if I write a song about love, my unique expression about love is my property..." - Rick Cairns, Music industry lobbyist
It all just makes me think of an idea someone planted in my brain once in college:
There are no original ideas.
And I was challenged to disprove that. And I couldn't.
All anything I think has a foundation somewhere from someone else or something else. My brain has just built on it, putting my fingerprint on something that has millions of other fingerprints already all over it.
Intellectual property doesn't make complete sense to me. I get that you don't want me to sing the lyrics to a Metallica song and then say, "I wrote that..." but DUH - no one would believe me. They all know who wrote that. It's just so strange. I can quote someone in a paper as long as I put their words in quotes and say they said it. Why are people getting so crazy about music and movies?
They're suing people in comas, 10 year olds, people on welfare, people on disability... yikes.
Do I sound smart? Or rambly? Because I'm watching this movie still as I write this and I'm not paying much attention to what' I'm writing. Or thinking.
Is it all just vanity? Everyone wanting credit? Is it low self esteem? Everyone needs validation?Tell me I'm smart. Tell me I'm original and unique. Tell me no one else in the whole world could have thought this up but ME!
But here's Girl Talk creating a mashup. Enjoy:
So, are there any original ideas?
Are there?
2 comments:
I invented original ideas. You owe me 10 bucks for this post.
i used to be bugged by those crazies too...then i started creating stuff for a living. the stuff i make uses skills and techniques i learned from other people....forms i got from other people. i'm not going to pretend i invented clutches or pillows. and the stuff i make is stuff anyone could make. but. they didn't. i did. and so i kinda see how people can feel like, 'hey, that's mine.'
Post a Comment