Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Things I'm Learning

Did you guys know that Wonder Woman is getting a new outfit?
She's had a lot of makeovers throughout her time. The man who invented her had a strange feminist viewpoint...he believed that women were superior and someday the world will go back to a matriarchal world. And so he drew Wonder Woman with not-so-humongous boobs and gave her a somewhat modest outfit and gave her these creepy bondage weapons that tied up men and made them tell the truth. A truth whip. She came from an Amazonian island where men could not exist. Then one day a man got lost there so she had to take him back to the U.S. and while she was there, she decided she'd give some motivational speeches on women power!...So that's how she began.

And here's where she is today:


As you may have guessed, I just listened to a podcast about female comic book heroes. I learned lots of things during this podcast. First of all: most women in comic books play the victims. The ones that are heroins are usually tortured, killed, de-powered, paralyzed or....who knows what else. Bad things. It's usually not a good fate. It made me think of Watchmen...those girls in that comic book -- they are most definitely victims...
So anyway -- this lady, some lady (I forget), after seeing the Green Lantern comic where his girlfriend is killed and stuffed in a refrigerator, got curious and thought, "hm...women in comics seem to have unusually awful fates..."


...and then she started this webiste:Women In Refrigerators. It looks at all the different fates women have had in comic books. Pretty interesting.

And I also learned that Wonder Woman is getting a new pant suit.

Full Circle.

No comments: