Friday, April 22, 2011

Things I'm Into Currently


Florence and the Machine

Maybe you've heard of her? She's on the radio a lot with that Dog Days are Over song. Her voice is so sweet and syrupy while being bold and rich at the same time. The music is unique; it catches me off guard and makes my shoulders move. Kelly and I borrowed the album from the library and I can't stop listening to it. It's great for so many things: dancing, grading, driving, playing while your students review for the state test during Flex time and watching them laugh at my "lame music taste."
"PLAY SCREAMO!!"
never.

NEXT
This book.

I have avoided this book for a long time because someone told me they didn't like his book Feed. Why do I listen to people? I'm almost finished with it and it's so intriguing. The 8th graders learned about this period of time in history this year (the boo
k is set in the 1700s) so it's fun to dive into it after hearing so much about it from my students.
The book is separated into 3 parts. The first part is kind of....dragging. It's really weird. And you're thinking the whole time - what is going ON!? But then it starts picking up and you realize what's happening and you're pulled in. It's fun writing. It's period writing so it is a little confusing at times. I like to just skim over words I don't know and guess. That's because I'm a good English teacher. (?)

I want to finish it so badly, but I have to read these research papers that I made my students write. Although I am quite into these research papers at the moment too. They're pretty funny sometimes.
Exhibit A:
The paper was supposed to be at least 8 paragraphs long...

NEXT


Twilight Zone Pinball

Kelly and I played it for 3 hours last night. I became
a Twilight Zone pinball addict. It's so intricate and FUN. Oh man.

NEXT


Hacky Sack

Kelly was teaching me how to play today. We played in our house for about 45 minutes. Then we got too sweaty so played in our apartment hallway. We're apparently 16 years old and stoners.

NEXT
Weight Watchers

This is day 6 for me trying out the new Weight Watchers. Kelly will attest to my recent insanity. I think about it a lot; words like "power foods" and "points" and "popcorn." Hey, I may be annoying but I feel great. I feel in control when I usually feel like a robot with a spoon for a hand, programed to seek out ice cream and consume it. Today I actually passed up big, delicious, free donuts and ate grapes and apples instead. DID YOU HEAR THAT!? Have I ever done that before? No. The answer to that is no I haven't. So it's going pretty well I guess.

I'm outy 5000

1 comment:

Calista said...

Natalie, your blog makes me so happy. Seriously - so happy. Congrats on your coming job! Okay, let me organize this better.

First, I love that song "Dog Days are Over" now too - LOVE it. Have you heard "Us" by Regina Spektor? It reminds me of her style a bit - you know, off the beaten path but not crazy weird.

Second, way to go with weight watchers! It really does work, and you feel tons better about yourself once you get over the "I'm starving all the time!" feeling. At least, I did.

Third, I love that you and me and Audrey all have blogs. There is something so awesome about us and our blogs and our communication styles and how I can hear you talking when I read your blog. SO awesome.