Tuesday, September 6, 2011

A Teacher's Dream moment...

Great moment for a teacher today:

After discussing the flashback in chapter 2 of The Outsiders, it's purpose and effect on the story, I ask, "Is there anything else you'd like to discuss about chapter 2 before we move on?"

A boy raises his hand and asks, "Can I make a text-to-world connection?"

CAN YOU!?!?!?!?!, I wanted to scream with excitement and joy.

"You bet you can! Go for it!" is what I actually said.

He furrowed his brow and said solemnly, "There are real Socs in the world."

"Explain..." I responded with one eyebrow higher than the other, not wanting to spoil this PERFECT moment of some real cogs turning.

"Well," he continued, "there are rich people in the world who think they are better than everyone else because they are rich."

Then we had a brief discussion on the true worth of a person.

It was a beautiful moment! It would be a dream come true if more students raised their hands to ask if they can make a connection. I LOVED IT. I should have given him 100 dollars for making that comment.
Mostly when kids raise their hands it's to say something like, "This is unrelated but...what does that sign on the wall mean?" and they point to something in my room that has NOTHING to do with the lesson and is CLEARLY off topic.

To those questions I respond loudly, "IRRELEVANT! Anyone else?"


No comments: