Friday, October 21, 2011

You Like Westerns?

As a middle school teacher and a lover of young adult literature, I'm always on the hunt for deals on books that I can bring into my classroom. I often like to check out the Book Sale sections at libraries just in case. And today, folks, I hit the jackpot.

12 hardback books for 3 bucks.

I went into the Tyler library to pick up the books I had on hold. We live really close to the Tyler library, but we try not to go there too much since the last time we went a man was trying to get a library card using his concealed weapons permit and fishing license as proof of address.
There are some seedy folks that hang around the Tyler Library...

But, while I was there I decided to take a peek at the book sale.

There was a cart marked "All books on this cart 25 cents!" Of course that caught my attention, so I spent some time there. I found This Is What I Did and Deadline. You can imagine my delight (especially if you've read my previous post about my experience reading Deadline).

As I'm beaming over my new finds, an old man comes up to me and says, "You know those books are only a quarter?"
"Yes!" I tell him.
Then he leans in close, like old men do, and says, "I'll let you in on a secret. Any of those books over on the shelf over there with a red mark are also a quarter."
I tell him thank you and wander over to the shelf.
He follows me and asks, "You like westerns?"
"Oh, actually, I really like Young Adult novels."
"Well," he says, "that cart right there is chalk full of young adult." (I don't remember if he really said "chalk full" but I'm pretty sure he said it...)

The cart had the usual pricing guide:
Hardbacks: $1
Softbacks: .50
Romance Novels: FREE and must be kept in a brown paper bag if read in public

So I peruse the cart and find a few things I like, although I'm hesitant because I don't want to spend too much. Kelly and I had recently blown some money trying to win an iPad in a machine called Barber Cut (don't ask).

"I'll tell you what," the old man is back. "You buy enough of those and you can have all of them for just a quarter. Just don't let the boss know. I'm just a volunteer here, but I'm trying to get fired."

So I ended up finding all kinds of gems! The lady who checked me out said I got the "Bill Special" and the old man just kept laughing and talking to himself the whole time. It was magical.

Thank you, creepiest library in the SLC library system!

1 comment:

Eric Layland said...

I want that book sale!!!!