Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Camping?

Oh, hello internet.
What are you doing here? Distracting me from studying for the midterm I have to take tomorrow which I have studied this much for?:
I'm going to Moab, camping with my nature photography class on Thursday.
This will be my first time camping since I was 11. Let me tell you about that camping experience. What I can remember of it anyway:

It was a mother/daughter camping trip. We went somewhere camp-like and set up tents. I remember there were some men there and I thought, Um...are you a mother or a daughter? The thing I remember most though is the night time:
I slept in a tent with my mom and my sister. It was probably a 2 man tent, and although we were young, we stuffed the tent to capacity. I couldn't sleep of course. Every sound was a monster and every gust of wind was a tornado. There were bears waiting to eat me and killers slicing holes in our tent, but only I saw it happen. I finally fell asleep (in a sweat), and although no one believes me, in the middle of the night I felt little paws push against my side of the tent. They pushed me onto Emily, squishing her, and thoroughly freaking me out. "Mom, a raccoon pushed me over last night," earned only a laugh and a "Want some breakfast?" I think someone was then stung by a bee in their eye...and I thought breakfast was gross.

My other camping experiences consist of girls camp . Real camping? I think not. We were in cabins: (This section includes actual pictures from my actual girls camp experiences...enjoy)
and although there were no showers, there was this giant basin with faucets that only spewed freezing cold water where Rachel and I would wash our faces (while screaming) and hair (well, not Rachel. She wasn't into hygiene really). We had toilets that were 30 miles deep; you would sit there, wait a few seconds, and then hear the stream hit. Oh, the luxuries...The luxuries of jean vests and "chow wows", what we called the nights we ate so much snack food we went into comas...(see below)We did have misquotes, ticks and spiders though, so that was real camping. I would bring a bottle of OFF bug spray and spray it on my mattress, body, luggage, clothes, journal...basically anything I brought with me. We went on 2 mile hikes, which would always inevitably end up being 9 mile hikes because we would get so lost. What do you expect? It's girls camp. I remember being a leader of a hike once...who let that happen? (Who let this happen?)Those girls were crying and it was near dark when I got them back to camp. I think one girl had 12 ticks in her hair that night (she was gross though).


In conclusion, I have no idea what Moab has in store for me or what I have in store for the people in my class who will have to endure my never ending question: "Where do I go to the bathroom?"

In other news....
This little lady has returned home today from her 1.5 year mission in California! How did that happen so fast? She's coming home to a whole new way of life. Kelly doesn't freak out when I try to hold his hand anymore? In fact, he willingly holds mine!? She'll freak out. Culture shock.
I'll let you know how it goes...