We were looking at visual texts in my class. How it's the future. Jonathan Safran Foer and all that. Then he showed us this novel from 200 years ago. The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentlemen. It was what we're calling the future right now. Visual text. Jonathan Safran Foer's great great great grandfather. Pages like this...

reflect Foer...

And I started thinking....Holy crap. The future started 200 years ago. 200 years ago was the future. So what are we? We don't even exist to them. We don't even exist. Alas poor Yorick!
Okay. That was extreme. We exist, obviously. And we rule, obviously. Ask the dues in cut off bald eagle tees if we rule; they know the truth.
Anyway. Did I have a point? I guess if I had a point it's that we are the super future. The future already happened and now we are the virtual-digital-battle-to-the-death-robo-scifi future everyone's been wondering about for so long. The future already happened. The book was written.
It's also interesting that Tristram Shandy has an "Alas poor Yorick!" page...followed by darkness, the vast unknown; and Oskar Schell in Foer's novel plays Yorick in his school play...
Got it. New thesis. Jonathan Safran Foer is a time traveler. Much more feasible. That means the future is still fictional (as Damien Fin would say).
This was a time waster.
But my lips were on fire.
1 comment:
I'm so happy you read Tristram Shandy in class. And I never realized that Foer's boy does play Yorick! And Rushdie writes a weird short story that is a future version of the Tristram Shandy. What does it all mean?? Everyone is time traveling without me. No one will take me with them!
Post a Comment