Thursday, March 18, 2010

Would you like your mind blown?

Dear Everyone,
How awesome do you think I am? What's that? Pretty awesome? Thanks.
I won't deny my awesomeness. I mean, I can't. There's physical evidence:
Well, let me send you into an epistemological crisis.
Cardiac arrest.
Legendary coma.
BLAMO
Okay. hahah. NOt this. BUT. Let's pause for a moment in our busy lives and realize how AMAZINGLY HILARIOUS this really is. Let's consider the comic GENIUS of whoever put that f there. hahahahahahahahah.
I want to print this out and hang it on my wall.
FRAMED.
Okay okay.
Back to reality. (although...the question of "how much fart have you created?" IS reality, I understand that....)

The real heart attack I'm going to give you:
Hahah. Okay. It's not this either. But I just can't resist bathroom graffiti. SO FUNNY.

Okay. Brass tacks. Reality. Train tracks.

A few years ago, I decided to become a teacher. An English teacher to be specific. I went into classrooms with sweaty palms and knobby knees to watch teachers stand up in front of 9th graders to talk about Romeo and Juliet. I then applied for student teaching, a long laborious task, so that one day I would be the one standing in front of the class, explaining to students that cats are poetry too.
I'm not making sense.
Anyway, there's student teaching and then there's an internship.
Student teaching: you're in another teacher's classroom, helping her teacher her kids. It's only for a semester and you have a lot of support.
Internship: You get thrown into your own classroom. You decide how to arrange the desks, what novels to teach, whether or not you'll put down your grandmother's Spanish rug and how much of John Lennon's A Spaniard in the Works you want your students to read.
I applied for student teaching. Not an internship.
Then lo and behold, an angel from heaven (much like the angel who wrote make farts, not war) I was offered a placing to be an intern.
BLAMO
I got it!
I'm going to be an intern!
I'm going to have my own classroom!
I'm going to hang up my Kermit the frog poster!

And most likely I'm going to bring in my puppets...
There's no way around this.

So, how blown is your mind? How deep is your coma? How big of a crisis have I driven you into? I'm going to be a teacher. Teaching a full year. In my own classroom. With my own students. Writing on my own whiteboard. Making my own lesson plans....
My mind is still taking its time to wrap. Or warp. I can't tell. But something is happening.

So, you can think I'm more awesome now.

Love,
Natalie

3 comments:

Kikal said...

I love you and I wish you were my english teacher.

Eric Layland said...

OH NATALIEEEEEEEEEE!! You are a real adult. For half the price:) I want to come be a guest speaker in your class. Or at least peak in the little door window and watch you tell those middle school kids it's rude to talk when you're talking. Also, on April fools I'm going to steal all your desks and replace them with love sacks and marshmallows. Consider yourself warned.

Brad said...

You took it?!?! Wow, I need to come in to your classroom and learn English because my English teacher, was not like your or anything close! This is brit!