First order of business: The Business of a Red Delicious
This morning, one of my 7th graders wandered into my room and, without saying anything, handed me this Red Delicious (if you don't know my feelings on red deliciouses, you can probably guess. No one likes these right? They're applesauce in a skin). I just smiled and said, "Thank you very much!"
What I was really thinking: "Wait. Is this real? Are you Ralphie from A Christmas Story? What's going on!?..."
I was very suspicious, but took the apple anyway. The apple was badly bruised and I threw it away as soon as class was over. Hahahahaha. Thanks for this piece of garbage, kid. (But really it was sweet, don't think I'm a monster)
You may also notice the chubby cat behind the apple... That's Mr. Tubs. He's a pretty major character in my classroom. He's our class mascot, and the kids LOVE him. We had a competition today against other English classes and we were the only ones with a mascot (we also won 5 out of 6 times!). I'd run up and down the rows, letting the kids get "good luck pats" in on the cat. They love Mr. Tubs more than they love me. And that's fine. He's pretty great. The kids always laugh when they see his little beaded eyes are hidden and I tell them, "He's too fat to have eyes."
One student decided Mr. Tubs just got his PHD and that his official name is: Dr. Stewart Tubs. He said that Dr. Stewart Tubs is a highly regarded psychologist and if any students are having problems, just give them a few minutes with Dr. Tubs. Then he squeezed his head for good luck.
Second order of business: The business of Buying out the Crayola isle.
I had some school money to spend today, so I went to Walmart and...bought out the Crayola isle. I wish I would have spread out the markers more before I took this picture, because there are a LOT of markers in that cart. Do I teach second or eighth grade? - you may be asking. Well, all eighth graders are second graders stuck in taller, more awkward bodies. So...both, I would say.
I can't wait for the figure coloring projects I'll make the kids do! Draw a picture of the theme of this poem. Color a picture of your favorite scene from The Outsider (That's when I would grade 200 pictures of a guy getting stabbed....)
I also bought this document camera with my teacher money. I'm so excited! Now my students can watch me write without having to turn my backs to them as I use the whiteboard, and I can show them a compass and a pencil!
My classes take the big end of the year state test all next week. I'm going to have them write about their feelings right before they test to see if they score higher after getting out their anxieties. I'll let you know how it goes...
(Only one more month of school!)



No comments:
Post a Comment