Sunday, April 22, 2012

Stephanie Myers?

You know that Outliers talk about how the successful man just happened to have this, this, and this? I think about Stephanie Myers sometimes in relation to that. How did she write super famous books? What were her happenstances?  Because, let's admit it, she's not a great writer. She just happened to have an okay story line. How did she become so famous with such poor writing? How do a lot of writers become famous with poor writing?
I just want to know. Would someone please do a study on that?

I'd also like to know if I have the happenstances to become a famous writer. Please do a study on that also. Thank you.

Amen.
Oh, sorry. Still stuck in Sunday mode.

6 comments:

Brittany said...

You will be a famous writer. I promise. And my security word is butchase.

Kikal said...

Well, if you don't mind me saying. This sounds like the same problem the elite artists have with popular art (painter of light guy, whatever his name was that just croaked) they think it is not art. If lots of people like it - but it doesn't fit the definition of what they've defined as good art (or writing), maybe their definition is wrong; or they don't have a monopoly on what people can find attractive/a good read. How do you feel about that? honestly...I'm not trying to be argumentative, but discussionative, although I think a good leg wrestle might settle this whole matter. How come the writers and artists who aren't making money selling their allegedly great writing/art are the ones defining what is good writing/art...because they might be doing something wrong.............................. It's like an out of work tech guy saying Steve Jobs is a horrible businessmen and doesn't know anything about computers (rest his soul). Or a no name chef who make gross cake telling Paula Deen she's using too much buttah. Right? Help me understand this.... And when you're famous you better remember who used to try and steal your clothes all of the time...because I'm coming for the good stuff now.

Mrs. Thomson said...

Good point. What makes writing "good"?...and who decides? I guess the truth is that I have my own definition of "good" and it might be different for someone else. And, hey, that's why there are so many genres and types of books and movies, because everyone has different opinions. What I call "good" someone might call "lame" or "boring."
So true. So wise.

Mrs. Thomson said...

Oops. I made that comment as Mrs. Thomson. Oh well. haha

annie (the annilygreen one) said...

well, mrs. thomson....you just have to write a book series based on a sex dream. did you know that's where she got the idea? the scene in the sun in the woods with his sparkling skin? she dreamt that and built the story around it when her sister told her she should. also, i have to disagree a little bit...not entirely. there is definitely room for debate on what is art and what is good art and even what is good writing. but that doesn't mean that anything goes. not being able to define good doesn't mean it doesn't exist. and stephanie meyer clearly came up with a good, trend-setting idea that has made her a ton of money. i may even like to read it (the 14-year-old in me couldn't put twilight down...let's be honest). but that doesn't mean she's a good writer. she's a writer. she wrote a popular series. and that's valuable. we don't have to compare her to the greats. because she's great at something else entirely.

Natalie said...

I love that, Annie. Well said.