Thursday, September 29, 2011

No Gum Allowed!

Here's my funny teaching moment for the day:

The students just finished doing a worksheet, finding information about characters by what other characters did and said. I was asking for volunteers to share what they had discovered in their groups.
I look out into a sea of glossy eyes. Very few hands raised.
Vanessa has a giant bubble blown, and it is just sitting there in front of her face like that scene from Ferris Bueller's Day Off:
Yeah, totally like that.

So I say, "Vanessa, spit your gum out," and attempting to just brush over the gum issue and get right back into the discussion I say, "anyone else?" meaning: "anyone else want to share before we move on?"
One boy lets out a big sigh, heaves himself out of his seat, and walks over to the trash can where he spits his gum out too.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha

I said, "Well, I wanted volunteers for the characters worksheet, but yes, spit out the gum too."
Oh, how I chuckled.

It's like that time Rachel insisted that The Creamery used whoppers in their shakes. And I told her she was CRAZY! We almost lost our friendship that night. Turns out, she was talking about the chocolate candy; I was talking about Burger King.

2 comments:

Eric Layland said...

Hahaha being a teacher sounds so funny all the time. You should have asked me about the whoppers in the shakes. I know you trust me more.

Brittany said...

can we just make a deal to comment on each others so we feel good about continuing to post on our blogs??? I like that deal. That is hilarious. I let my Kindergarteners chew gum. I don't know why....it hurts my feelings when they spit it out, and theirs because its like they worked so hard to convince their mom they needed that gum, or they probably earned it...but they rarely have gum. Strange I am.