Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Rilo Kiley

It's finally cold enough to listen to Rilo Kiley again. I feel like I can listen to her and enjoy her the most when it's cold outside. Her music is too warm to listen to when the sun is beating down making me feel like I'm on the Twilight Zone episode "The Midnight Sun."

I think that music has a season. Some music is warm, some is cold. Rilo Kiley is warm music. it keeps you warm when it's cold out. Sweatshirt music. Thats why people don't listen to Christmas music until it gets cold outside. It's too warm before that. It just makes sense.

Lets think of all the different types of music:
1. Rainy music that falls with the rain outside.
2. Warm music that wraps its notes around you when you're cold.
3. Cool music that is a gust of ice cold when you're in The Midnight Sun and your forehead is sweating.
4. Music that cries with you. (these songs usually fall under the warm music category)
5. Second wind music. The music that gives you the idea to drive to Mexico at 3am.

I'm sure there are a thousand more. .. . But the point is, It's finally cool enough for Rilo. Good old Jenny. I listened to her all morning. I forgot how much I love imitating her voice. Forming mine to hers. Sometimes I can sound spot on. (Or at least in my head I do) I really love listening to music when I can mimic the voices and sing along like it's me. It makes me feel alive.

1 comment:

Randomness Incarnate said...

I liked this article alot. Not just because of what it says, which is profoundly insightful, but because I am having a bad day at work and I've never really listened to Rilo Kiley except as background music. And then I didn't really notice it much. So I checked it out and you are right it is warm music and I was feeling cold and blue and it warmed me up. So now I am feeling better.

I love your brain and your thoughts. The blog is shaping up nicely.