She sat her parents down on the bar stools in the kitchen and swallowed hard thinking about what she was about to tell them. Her mother linked her wrinkled fingers together and laid them in her lap. Her father folded his arms across his chest and with a grunt said, “Alright. Out with it.”
She tilted her head and peered over her glasses at her dad. “Okay,” she began. “Um…Mom. Dad. I don’t know how this happened, but it’s happened and now…I guess I have to deal with it. I just…want your support and love through all of this…”
“It’s okay honey. Whatever it is, we love you,” Her mother assured.
“Okay…” She closed her eyes and felt her face grow hot. The acids in her stomach were burning holes with each breath. One thousand ulcers. She swallowed the lump in her throat looked down at her feet and whispered, “I’m pregnant.”
“You’re what!?” Her father bellowed. “Well how did this happen?!” He rose to his feet and his face was now turning a dark shade of purple.
“I don’t know. It just…happened!” She whined.
“Thinks like this don’t just happen.” Her father said in a mocking tone with air quotes.
Liz felt anger rising. She came to her parents for support and for help and they’re reacting just as she thought they would. Her stomach was now hot with anger. She didn’t know what to say anymore. “It happened in the Bible!” She yelled, pointing her finger at them. “Let’s not forget! To a lady I like to call Mary. If it’s true in the Bible it can be true today! That’s what you all told me when I was growing up!” Liz was now throwing her hands up in the air with each sentence and turned her back on them to try and calm down.
“Liz! You’re being irrational!” Her mother shrieked.
“Am I mother? Am I?” Liz wheeled around on her heel to face them again. She curled her index finger and put it in her mothers face. “I have but one hook, beware!”
And with that, Liz stomped out of the kitchen and down the stairs to her bedroom leaving her parents bewildered in the kitchen.
2 comments:
I liked it. It left me feeling like there should be more. But I liked it.
the line is, "i have but one claw, but beware." you f-ed the whole thing up. just kidding. i really like it when my rants become the inspiration for a phenomenal piece of writing like that.
Post a Comment